SWANA - Landfill Gas Training Committee
Call for Nominations for Committee Co-Chair
SWANA’s Landfill Gas and Biogas Technical Division Executive Committee is seeking candidates to fill a Co-Chair position for the Training Committee. The Committee Chair, Farideh Kia of ES Engineering Services LLC, is seeking a candidate to coordinate Training Committee activities for 2019 and beyond. Committee Chairs are nominated by the Division membership (including self-nominations) and elected by the Steering Committee.
Below is a brief description of the Committee’s Mission Statement, Action Items for Fiscal Year 2019 and general role and responsibilities for the Committee Co-Chair position.
Mission Statement: The Training Committee provides LFG-related training and education to the solid waste community through in-house, classrooms, and online seminars and courses and publications offered by SWANA. The Training Committee assesses technical quality of products and programs, including the provision of technical oversight in the development and updating of the Division’s technical courses.
Current Topics for Action in FY2019 from the Technical Division Program Plan:
· Recruit committee volunteers to update bodies of knowledge (BOKs)
· Evaluate offering the LFG Introduction as a certificate web-based eCourse
· Review and update the LFG Introduction Course materials, including the manual and PowerPoint presentations
· Evaluate offering the LFG Introduction Course as a pre-requisite for the Operation and Maintenance Course
· Review and update the Operations and Maintenance Course manual and PowerPoint presentations
· Evaluate offering the Operation and Maintenance Course at SWANA conferences
· Work with SWANA HQ to research the need for potential half to one-day LFG courses in regulations, utilization and construction
· Create a repository for LFG-related photographs to support the training course presentations
· Respond to student evaluations of training courses as needed
· Work with SWANA’s Education Department staff to identify and recruit training course instructors through SWANA-approved faculty appointment process
· Support the development of online, web-based eCourses in coordination with SWANA’s Education Department staff
· Provide topic suggestions and presenter recommendations for SWANA Webinars
· Contribute articles to Tech News
Role and Responsibilities of Committee Chair:
· Minimum 2-year term. Prior experience/participation on Training and Landfill Gas and Biogas Technical Division Committee preferred.
· Attend semi-annual Technical Division Meetings at Landfill Gas and Biogas Symposium and WASTECON; deliver status report on Committee goals/objectives status at meetings
· Attend the Technical Division’s Steering Committee quarterly meetings/conference calls; provide input on Committee initiatives
· Lead Committee meetings/conference calls; set meeting agendas. Face to face committee meeting held at the annual Landfill Gas and Biogas Symposium. Additional meetings scheduled as needed to complete Committee objectives per Program Plan (face to face or conference calls).
· Update Annual Program Plan for Committee mission, goals and initiatives
· Moderate a technical session at annual Landfill Gas and Biogas Symposium
· As needed, nominate a Committee Vice Chair; propose names to the Steering Committee for vote and approval
If you are interested in serving as Co-Chair of the Training Committee, please send a resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com by midnight Eastern Time on July 1, 2018. Your letter should contain the following sections: 1) What you have done professionally – a short summary highlighting your achievements, not a complete resume 2) What you have done for SWANA’s Training and Landfill Gas and Biogas Technical Division – committees in which you have participated, presentations you’ve given at conferences, awards you have received from the LGB Division, if any 3) What you see as your goals for the Training Committee in the next two years, with emphasis on how you would achieve the items listed in the FY 2019 Program Plan.
If you have questions about the position, please contact Farideh Kia, Training Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org 714-815-8210, or Sue Bumpous, Technical Divisions Manager, at email@example.com or 240-494-2253.