Young Professionals

1.  Hello!

Posted 03-09-2018 10:27 PM
Hello Young Professional Community!

As a new member, I wanted to introduce myself! My name is Catherine O'Connor and I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I have been a member for several months now, but have been a bit shy in joining the discussion. I will say... I am beyond impressed with MySWANA. It is so refreshing to be a part of a community where everyone is on the same team. It seems that every member is striving for more responsible waste management practices and solutions, and other members are eager to give a gem of information to lend a helpful hand. What a remarkable industry.

I am an Engineering Intern at Monterey Regional Waste Management District, but I like to consider myself ALSO the part-time, non-compensated, non-official "hype-girl." It is nice to leave work happier than when you arrived. (Not a lot of jobs offer this perk). I am so inspired by all of the passionate people, projects, and facilities that make up MRWMD and contribute to it being such an amazing place.

When not drooling over the new MRF equipment at MRWMD, I attend San Jose State University where I study Civil Engineering. I hope to use my education to be apart of the solutions that you Young Professionals tackle daily!

With that, I wish you well, and look forward to meeting you all. Please feel free to contact me!

Gratefully,

------------------------------
Catherine O'Connor
San Jose State University
Student
San Jose CA

2.  RE: Hello!

Posted 03-12-2018 11:34 AM
​Welcome to SWANA, Catherine - we are so glad you joined the group! I have heard only good things about the Monterey Regional Waste Management District, and am particularly impressed by the reuse store!

Tiana Svendsen LEED AP, MA
City of Garland
Environmental Outreach Coordinator
Garland TX

3.  RE: Hello!

Posted 03-19-2018 09:40 AM
Welcome! I am approaching the end of my first year as a YP. I hope you find this organization to be helpful. I have reached out to so many colleagues around the country for ideas and found it to be valuable.

Best wishes!

Steve

Steven Tharp
Stark-Tuscarawas-Wayne Joint SW Mgt Dist - OH
Operations Coordinator
Bolivar OH

4.  RE: Hello!

Posted 9 days ago

Hi Catherine,

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying being part of the SWANA YP community-it's a great place to be! I'm the YP Chapter Liaison for the Northern California Gold Rush Chapter. I'm hoping to set up some programming in the upcoming months so we can capitalize on all the energy and ideas NorCal YPs are bringing to the industry. I hope you can attend. Please let me know if there's anything in particular that you're interested in seeing out of YP programming.

I hope to see you at future chapter meetings. Please reach out if you have any questions or just to chat.

Christine

Christine Wolfe
Recology
Environmental Planner
San Francisco CA